Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Speaker Richard


So, I know this one is incredibly long, but I needed to include details for my own purposes...please bear with me.


It is the beginning of my last week here in Uganda, and I can already tell that it is going to be so hard to leave this country and the Acholi people. Tonight I had a very sobering experience. I have made mention of a certain Richard at Keyo. He is the newly elected speaker and a great student. He was one of the first students to come up to me and greet me my first week at Keyo. Anyhow, last week I made mention that I would like to visit him at home and meet his family. At the time I did not have any idea the profound influence the event would have on my experience here in Uganda. Since we traveled to Murchison Falls this past weekend I was not able to visit him on the weekend when he would be home in Gulu town. We decided that we would travel home and meet me tonight, Monday evening, at his home. As soon as I arrived I could see that conditions were not well at his home. Their hut we loosing its mud and had not been redone for quite some time, the garden did not look healthy and even his father and mother were appeared to be very weak. His mother couldn’t be much older than forty some, but she had the appearance of something like seventy. His father appeared to be a bit older, but the hard work which he has completed in his life has also added twenty some years. There are six children in his family, but I was only able to meet two others. His younger brother Francis and hi youngest sister Grace. Francis is thirteen and unable to attend school because the family is not able to afford to send him. Grace is only 2 years old.


We sat outside and visited for a while. I was able to learn more about his family and also his school situation. I learned that his oldest brother is living in their village and working in their fields. They raise cassava and beans. This brother was abducted by the LRA when he was only sixteen. Thankfully he was able to escape a few weeks after being abducted. Richard said he told him that he was mostly used as a messenger boy, but was required to kill some people. When Richard was eleven he and two of his brothers were sick with the measles. His younger brother, who was five at the time, did not survive. He has another sibling that died before he was born, but because of their traditions he has not been told the cause of death for that one. I do not know much more about his other family members besides that most of them have not been able to complete schooling. His mother did not attend school, but his father was able to complete some schooling. I would have liked to get to know his father a bit more, but he did not talk much. I asked if it would be okay to take a picture of his family and he agreed that it would be okay. He told his father and mother and they entered inside the hut. I noticed that they were changing their clothes. I did not expect this, but respected their humility and desire to look their best even though the clothes they changed into did not appear to be any different. Although they do not normally smile in pictures, I was able to see each of them smile during my visit and they each have the same smile as their father. When the Acholi people smile, it is as if a light is turning on inside of them. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.


I asked Richard how his day at school went and he said, “not well.” I figured because they were testing that the test did not go well, but learned that he almost was kicked out of school today. He has only been at Keyo this term and had not yet been able to pay his school fees. They were starting their midterms today and if hey were not current on their fees they would not be able to sit the exam and kicked out of school. I am not sure where he got it, but he was able to pay something like 90,000 schillings today and remain in school long enough to sit the midterm exams. If h doesn’t pay the balance soon, he will not be able to stay for the rest of the term. The total cost for A-level (senior 5 and 6) is 127,000 schillings/term.


Normally Richard would ride his bicycle back and forth from Keyo to home, but because of the late exam today he would not have made it back on time to meet me and so he had taken a boda. When learned of that I was very upset because I know that it would have costed him something like 5,000 schillings to come home. I didn’t say anything to him at the moment, but I knew I couldn’t allow him to pay for his boda back to Keyo. He made mention that he needed to return back to Keyo soon to study for his exams tomorrow, but made motion for us to enter into the hut. Inside, his mother had prepared some food for us. In their tradition, only the invitee and the invited guest sit I the hut to take their meal. So, his mother came in on her knees and washed our hands and then left the food (cassava and beans). The portions were small and I knew that the rest if the family would not be eating. That is when I began to become very aware of my surroundings. I maintained myself, but wanted to cry I was so emotional. I took one bite of the cassava and couldn’t take any more. I could not stand the thought of his sick mother and the rest of the family not taking super. I explained my feelings to Richard and thankfully I do not think he was offended that I did not eat more. His little sister came in and he gave her some little bit to eat and then left the remaining aside (probably for the others after we left).


We washed our hands and then went outside the hut to say goodbye to his family. We walked together to the trading center to catch bodas. Again, we had more time to just visit walk slowly. He became very nervous and upset to learn that I would be leaving soon and questioned how we would be able to remain friends. I ensured him that we would be able to remain in contact. He informed me that he has recently gotten email, though I don’t believe he knows how to type. At minimum, I will be able to call him and he can call me if he needs. As we reached the trading center I informed him that I would pay for his boda and gave him enough for his transport to and fro. He said the very familiar Acholi “sure,” and I ensured him sure. Acholi people do not show emotion, but for one instant I could see in Richards eyes a very heart felt and understood thank you. We said our goodbyes and I told him to let me know when her had reached Keyo safely.


On my way home I was very quiet and did not carry on the normal conversation with my boda driver. In deep reflection of the evening I became very emotional and enlightened on what had just taken place. I witnessed probably the most humbling experience of my life. I saw a family that was struggling to not only to educate their children, but also to just feed themselves. Richard does not even eat while he is at Keyo. He cannot afford food and so he just takes drinks such as tea or mango juice. The realization came that what I had spent earlier that day on souvenirs for my family and friends was more than an entire term of education and food for Richard (127,700 schillings = $50). I started to think back of the different times I have wasted or misspent $50...countless. I very quickly was humbled to recognize the many blessings and fortunes I have been blessed with in my life.


As I reached home, I bought some airtime and called mom. I really needed to share with someone how I was feeling, but the tears just a started a flowing. It is very difficult to words the feelings and thoughts I was experiencing. I was just overwhelmingly grateful for the blessings I had received in my life and so conscious of the hardships of Richard’s family. Even before sharing with mom my decision to pay the rest of Richard’s school fees for this year, I was very touched to hear mom bring it up as something we could do. I am very grateful to her and my father for the example of giving they have always been in my life. What is so hard about my decision is that it is only helping one of how many other students? I know well that Richard’s story is not unique and there are many other students and families who are suffering under the same circumstances.


Skipping to the next day at school and visiting with Richard about my decision.


Richard was on his way back to his hut in Keyo center and so I decided to accompany him. While walking I was able to visit with him about what I had witnessed at school this morning. While I was working on this entry, one of the teachers brought in a girl and her mother. The girl was thrown to the floor and I knew that there was going to be a caning. As the teachers started joking I decided that I could not handle it and closed my computer and left the room. I sat outside the staff room, but still could her the strokes and cries as they caned her. At the time I was visiting with Daniel and I had to even leave away far enough not to hear what was happening. At that time, I was able to visit with Daniel a bit about caning. I asked if he had ever been caned and he told me about his most severe caning. He was a senior two student here at Keyo and one of the boys called a teacher a name. All of the senior two boys were lined up in front of the staff room and caned. What made this story more horrifying was that they were caned nigh a senior four boy. There were over 150 boys that were caned that day by a fellow student. I asked Daniel why the student was chosen and if he was forced. He said that he was not forced, but that the boy enjoyed it and that the teachers thought he would hit the other boys harder. Daniel said that the other students and teachers were all watching just laughing and provoking. I could not believe the words he was telling me. He said that it hurt so bad that time that he even cried himself. He said he never felt more embarrassed in his life. I felt so bad for him.


So I was asking Richard why they do it, because I know that it is outlawed by the government. He said that it is allowed when a parent is present and gives permission and amount of strokes. It made since why I saw the mother and the severity of this mornings beating. He told me of his most painful caning experience. He was in primary seven and had just went to the relieve himself at the toilette. The teacher that spotted him thought he was skipping and did not allow him to explain. He was taken into the staff room and caned by a man described as from another part of Uganda (another tribe). Richard explains he was beaten so badly because this man was not of the same tribe. He said it was not discipline, but abuse or tribalism. I just don’t understand really. I understand that parents at home may use caning for discipline, but I don’t believe it has a place in the schools. I guess it is just shocking to know that it is illegal without a parent present, yet it continues to happen.

Anyway, back to supporting Richard. We arrived into Keyo center and he needed to grab the goats and go and tie them to graze. It began to rain a bit and so we sought refuge in his hut. There we had a chance to visit more about the circumstances when he was supported financially during his senior one and two. I asked about what was expected of him and such in return. He told me about the work he would complete for the man and the expectation he had to provide him with his marks from school. Once I built a good base, I told him that I would like to finishing paying for his senior five year. Again, it is hard for them to show their emotion, but the calm-humble look on his face I could see that my offering was something heaven sent. We talked of what I would expect of him in return and I asked him to write up a letter-contract sharing with me what he would do as well as his personal and professional goals in life. I am very happy with my decision and the added support of my parents. I know that this will change his life and that his entire family will benefit. As I sat there I came to truly understand the hymn, “Because I have been given much, I too must give. I cannot see another’s lack, and I not share. My glowing fire, my loaf of bread, my roofs safe shelter over head...” I am very thankful and look forward to friendship/mentorship that I will share with Richard.


Remaining amount for term 2: 30,200

Senior five term 3 fees: 125,200

Supplies required by school: 44,600


Total: 200,000 schillings


Experience that will change my life: Priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment