Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Road to Keyo


Each morning as I ride out to Keyo on the back of my boda, I find my self often in prayer and reflection. I love the opportunity to be out on the open road (trail) in the pristine serenity of the Ugandan country side. As we pass several primary schools, I am thankful for education and the empowerment it is bringing to these beautiful young children. As we pass women with their children on their backs and their farming hoes on their shoulders, I am thankful for the strong work ethic these women have and their desires to pay the way of their children through school. I think of my own mother and the work she does on our farm and I am grateful for her example. As we pass the Mzee (old wise man) sitting under the tree, I am thankful for the life he has had and recognize the excruciating hard work of his life that is evident in his worn face and hands. As we reach Keyo, I am grateful to see the children at the well. I am grateful to see even they have a crucial part in the survival of their families. As we arrive at Keyo SS, I am grateful to see my students lining up for morning parade. I see their willing attitudes to obey their leaders and their devotion to God and their country. Heck, I am even thankful for Denis and the african aroma the entire way to Keyo!


No comments:

Post a Comment