Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bacterial Infection

Note to self: try to avoid bacterial infections when visiting third worlds. The last two days have been a bit miserable. Yesterday I felt like I was buried alive again under 12 feet of sand. I say again, because I felt a lot like I did when I had dengue fever in Thailand two summers ago. Pablo and I paid a visit to the clinic yesterday to have a blood test to make sure it wasn’t malaria and thank goodness it is not. The clinic actually turned out to be very nice and clean. To draw blood, the technician used a fourteen gauge needle to poke my finger and then just dabbed the glass slide to my finger. Not going to lie, made me a little nervous for staff infection. At least Pablo and I both got clean (new) needles! Anyway, not a lot new this week except for being sick since Monday. This past weekend we visited the rhino sanctuary which was awesome! We only got to see three rhinos, but it was really neat to see them in the wild and the fact that we hiked for like thirty minutes to see them made it really feel safari-ish. The sanctuary was started by a South African family in he mid two thousands and is the only location throughout Uganda that has rhinos. The last wild rhino was poached in 1984 during the conflict. Today, the sanctuary has 11 rhinos. Next weekend is our actual safari and I am so excited to see giraffes! By far my favorite African animal. Teaching has been going well the past two weeks. We have our READ conference this weekend and I am excited for Silvio and Alex to come and network with the other North American and partner teachers. I have to say North American now because we have three Canadians now with our group who came with group 2. So we are now 30 teachers in 11 schools. Seems small, but it is a pretty significant impact on theirs and our own ideologies of teaching. I can’t believe we only have two and a half weeks left here in Uganda! This summer has definitely gone too fast. I am excited to spend some time at home before going back to Texas, but I will be super sad to leave these amazing people. The Ugandan people are much like the Thai and I feel like I have made another home here among these people. I can’t wait to return one day and share my experiences/friends with my family one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment