Sunday, July 10, 2011

Denis my Boda


Tonight I am again overwhelmed with a feeling that I do not know how to described in words, but I have to write down my feelings. Denis, my boda boda driver, invited Lauren and I over for dinner and o meet his family. Lauren was not feeling well and so I ended up going by myself to his home. Hi lives with his wife, Jane, and their two kids in a small hut in a compound with his extended family. Denis took me into his home and we just sat and visited for a few minutes and then his wife came in. She immediately knelt down and greeted me. It was so sweet. Her voice calm and quiet, but with a smile that was priceless. She came back a few minutes later with Judicia (6 year old girl) and Johnny Evan (1 year old boy). Seriously the worlds two cutest kids. We had a beautiful dinner of chicken, malaquin, rice, boo and other Acholi specialties. After dinner, Judicia sat in my lap and fell asleep. Soon after, Dennis put her in her bed and we stepped outside. Jane was bathing Evan and it was so funny to watch him scream and play in the little bathing pale. Afterwards, we just sat and took it all in. We visited and Jane began to wash the dishes and some clothes. It is all done just there in the dirt using washing pans and water brought from the well in jeri cans. There life is just so simple and easy. I almost came to tears as I sat there holding Evan asleep and watched their family carry on with their lives. I felt fear for Denis’ children. I felt fear for Denis and his efforts to provide for his little family. I then reflected and said a little prayer and was comforted by the spirit to know that they would be watched after. Even though they have nothing and Denis can hardly pay for Judicia‘s schooling, they are happy. They are together as a family and surrounded by the ones they love. After spending several hours on the front step of hi hut, Denis walked me through their village towards my home. He was grinning ear to ear as he greeted his neighbors and others in the center of the village. He was so proud to show off his mazungu friend. I am equally happy to have friends like Denis in Gulu and really can not wait to bring my wife back here one day and introduce her to everyone. Francis also lives their in the same compound as Denis. I guess they are brothers/cousins. He is the one that I found originally, but when he could not take me early in the mornings he referred me to Denis. He is awesome as well. I took a picture with him and his daughter and then I asked where his wife was. He pointed across the compound to a woman and I told him to have her come over for a picture. She came over and said hello, but did not want a picture. A few minutes later, another woman came strolling up. I asked who she was and Francis is like, “ah that is my other wife.” I looked at him with a grin and just said, “m’kay.” It was a lot of fun and I am so happy I had this opportunity tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment