Saturday, June 18, 2011

Today I felt a feeling that I have never felt before and I am having trouble naming exactly what it was. It is a feeling that made me feel very uncomfortable, but at the same time taught me some very impactful life lessons. I found out Sunday morning when I checked into my flight to Uganda that durning the second leg I would be sitting in first class on our flight from London to Entebbe. At first, I didn’t think much of it. Sure, I was excited, but the reality of what that meant hadn’t set in until I boarded the plan. Instantly, I was very uncomfortable for several reasons. For starters we had spent the entire day visiting the city of London at a very fast pace (which was amazing) and I had looked ragged compared to the other business men in first class. My looks don’t normally throw me off, so I knew it was something else that had to be bothering me. As I took my seat, I felt so uncomfortable that my stomach began to react and I was very confused. I quickly grew shy and did not know really what to do. I began what was happening around me. I saw business men, most likely wealthy, stroll about as if nothing was out of place for them. They sat down and were greeted quickly by a stewardess and given a refreshment of orange juice and champagne. If something was not to their comfort or likes, they would order to have something changed in their environment. It is not the purpose to place judgement on these men, but appea

red as if these men were talking to someone less than themselves. Now I know it tis their job to wait on these people, but I did not appreciate their tone nor mannerisms. I thought of the great lesson of Coach Larry Gelwix. A few years ago he taught me that the way I treated those I do not need is a reflection of my true character and who I am. I decided then, again, that I must be mindful of those I do not need and how I treat them. I felt out of place sitting in the lounge chair and the fancy cabin, knowing that there were hundreds of other passengers just like me sitting in the other cabin not receiving the same service as I was. I did not feel deserving nor in need of such service. It was interesting. I thought that I would enjoy my flight in first class, but it ended up bothering me more than I was able to enjoy it. I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ that has taught me humility and even though I have much to learn and develop, I feel as if today I was shown a new side of myself that I did not know existed. I am thankful to my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ for the im

mense amount of blessings and favors I have received in my life and hope that I will always recognize their power and influence in my life. I saw today that I don’t need to extras in my life to be happy. Although I may not have received the same service or rest in the economy cabin, I would have been more comfortable in my own skin.


1 comment: