Wednesday, June 22, 2011

First Day of School @ Keyo SS

Today was my first day at Keyo Secondary School. It was great. We left the house around 10 and arrived a little before 11 at the school. The ride on the boda boda was amazing. Basically we take off from Gulu and head off through the valley towards the mountains. We passed the airport and then also the water treatment facility for Gulu. There were all sorts of activity going on the whole way out there. Most of the farmers (both men and women) were out in their fields with their hoes. There was one farm that had four cows harnessed together and using a one bottom plow to turn over the soil. As far as I can tell, it takes a while to get a good seed bed ready. After they clear the trees and shrubs, it looks as if it takes again some time to get the grasses cleared out and ready for planting. Again, it appears that each farmer only owns a few hectares each. As we arrived into Keyo all I could see were huts for homes. (Remember Keyo was camp for refugees from the towns around Gulu during the conflict.) Basically the only buildings in the area are the schools (primary and secondary). Keyo SS sits on the bench looking over the whole valley. It is a breath taking view. As we rolled up our boda drivers dropped us off and we headed for the teachers room, there we were greeted by al the teachers. Everyone was was so incredibly happy to have us there to teach with them for the next 5 weeks. After meeting everyone, we headed to the library for a round table meeting. Joe and I meet with Lindsey (from IC) and our cooperating teachers. We went over expectations and goals for the program. After, it was break time and we were served a tribal tea and a scone like bread. I then met with my two teachers and we created a schedule. Looks like I will be teaching all four secondary grades. I will be teaching soils with Silvio to the S-1 group and vegetable production with Silvio again to the S-2 kids. With Alex I will be teaching the S-3 kids cattle production and the S-4 group agriculture economics. Oh, and also tractors with Silvio to the oldest kids, S-5. I also will be paring up with Ms. Grace to teach KOBS (Knowledge of Behavior and Self) one day a week. We next were served lunch-pocho and beans. Pocho is a rice paste stuff that reminds me of sticky mashed potatoes, but tastes like rice. Needless to say, that will be my lunch for the next 5 weeks! After lunch classes were canceled and the students had student leader campaigning. It was classic! Even though I am in a 3rd world, election campaigning is the same. Students were obnoxious, showy, cocky, etc. It was fun to observe the students and see them interacting with each other and the staff. There is no assembly hall, and so we all just met under a couple of big trees in the shade in the middle of the campus. It was just as you imagine when you see African documentaries. I made to like 4, but then I had to pee. I leaned over to Alex and asked him where I could go short call. He turns around and points to a small tin shack behind us. Well that was all fine and dandy except the fact that it was right behind us and all the students were already facing us anyway. Well, they all watched me head that way. Luckily there were two sides divided with a little wall, so I went to the side opposite the audience. I cracked open the shafty door and it was like a flock of bats coming right at me (actually flies, but just as dramatic). I decided that I would just stan at the door and aim for the little hole. It was nasty and I have decided there is no way that I will ever go long call while at school. I came home and told Lindsey about it and she simply decided last year to dehydrate herself in order to avoid the pit latrines at the school. The boda ride home was just as surreal and beautiful as the ride out.


Carol made an amazing spaghetti and green bean dinner! She is a amazing cook and I am so content to have someone here that prepares great breakfasts and dinners. Around 8 it started to thunder and lightning and the down pour began soon after. Since we have not had power nor running water in the house for the past 3 days I have not taken a real shower. So, I grabbed my loofa, shower gel and shampoo and took a shower in the rain gutter! It was cold, but oh so worth it!


I am so loving my summer so far. I know that it is only the fist week, but it has been such a great experience so far. I am very excited to continue to learn from my Ugandan teachers and students. This culture is so rich and I have a lot to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment